Its a common thing not knowing what’s the password to your Wi-Fi network, because in most cases, you might have just been connected by a friend or neighbor and didn’t give you the WIFI pass-code. I am going to show you the easiest way to find WiFi Passwords on computer, Whether you a tech expert, changed the default password or not, it’s simple to find your Wi-Fi password. You can also look up on how to reset the router password you previously configured on your router. I’ll show you the easiest methods to locate any Wi-Fi network password if you’ve previously connected to that network from a Windows computer.
Things To Know First:
- You might be able to find the password by using common username and password combinations (e.g., “admin” for the username and “admin” for the password) or consulting Router Passwords.com, a database of popular routers’ default logins.
- Once you’ve connected to your router using the default password, make sure you change it and store the password in your password manager so your router is secure.
- To find the default password, find your Wi-Fi router and examine it. You should see a sticker somewhere on it that contains both the “SSID”–the wireless network name–and the password. If you haven’t changed the default password yet, you can use that password to connect to the router.
- Modern Wi-Fi routers–and the combined router come with a default Wi-Fi network name and password. If your router is still using the default username and password, it should be easy to find. Each router has its own default password, which is often random.
- If you don’t see a default password printed on the router itself, try looking at the documentation that came with the router for more information.
Importance Of Learning How To Find WI-FI Passwords
Most people using the WiFi password, write on the back of the router. This password is mostly the one allocated by the ISP. Probably some really long combination of letters, numbers and symbols that you can never remember.
People try to write the password down somewhere or simply check on the router every time they need to give it to someone else.
The network’s password is misplaced for your home or you’re visiting someone, this process is important for hooking up new devices to a home network, without having to login into the router to just see the login configuration password, here’s how you can find it.
How to Find WiFi Passwords on Computer Using Windows
To look up the password for the Wi-Fi network you’re currently connected to on Windows, there two methods we are going to use.
- Method 1: Network and Sharing Center
We’ll head to the Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel. I will show you the full process of locating saved WIFI in a moment.
- Method 2 Command prompt (CMD)
Yes, this tool can be used to check your WIFI networks and password. Running commands automate tasks via scripts and batch files, perform advanced administrative functions, which can be to analyze the computer status, check networks, configure firewall and troubleshoot or solve certain kinds of Windows issues. Command Prompt is a command line interpreter application available in most Windows operating systems. It’s used to execute entered commands.
To Find WiFi password of the currently connected WiFi network Follow These Steps.
STEP: 1 On Windows 10 operating system, with recent updates. Click the “Open Network & Internet Settings” option that appears in the context menu instead.
STEP: 2 When the Settings window appears, scroll down and click “Network and Sharing Center.” You can also just head to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
STEP 3: Make sure you are already connected to the WiFi network or have previously connected to the WiFi network. That’s a requirement, in order to view the WiFi password on your Windows machine.
STEP 4: Right-click on the WiFi icon in the system tray and choose Open Network and Sharing Center.
STEP 5: Now click on Change Adapter Settings in the left-hand menu and find the icon for Wi-Fi, right-click on it and choose Status.
STEP 6: This opens up the WiFi Status displaying some basic information about your wireless network connection. Click on the Wireless Properties button and then click on the Security tab.
STEP 7: Finally, locate a text field called Network security key. Go ahead and check the Show characters box and you’ll now be able to see the WiFi security password. What if you want to see the WiFi passwords for WiFi networks that your computer previously connected to?
Find WiFi Passwords on Computer Using CMD Command Prompt
In Windows 8 and 10, you have to use the command prompt, which is pretty annoying but easy to use. Luckily, that’s pretty easy too in Windows 7.
STEP: 1 On Windows 7, open the Network and Sharing Center and then click on Manage Wireless Networks. Locate list of all the wireless networks that computer has ever connected to. Double-click on the one you are interested in.
STEP: 2 Click on the Security tab and check the Show characters box again to see the password.
STEP: 3 On other versions of Windows 8 and 10, open a command prompt by going to Start and typing in CMD. When the command prompt opens, type in the following command:
netsh wlan show profiles
You’ll find all the wireless profiles listed under User Profiles. Before running the command, ensure CMD is configured to run as administrator. The name of the WiFi network is on the right. Now to see the password for a profile, type in the following command to find WiFi passwords on computer.
netsh wlan show profile name=vm8745158 key=clear
Go ahead and replace profilename with the actual name of the WiFi network listed on your device from the previous command.
When you run the second command, you’ll get a lot of output, but you are only interested in finding the line that starts with Key Content. To the right will be the WiFi password. Check out this video for more, and If you have any questions, feel free to comment below !
- How to Add IDM extension to Opera browser
- How To Change Your Password On Huawei B315 Router
- At&t Cdma Or Gsm: Whats The Difference ?
- How To purchase data bundles On Airtel
- How to Use and Install “IDM” (Internet Download Manager)